Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Siblings

I became a big sister when I was 3 years and 3 months old. I don't remember Megan being born or holding her for the first time, but I do remember that when she came home, people came to see her and brought me presents - to this day I still remember a plastic chain-link red necklace that you could buy different "charms" for, along with some tiny slinky-like bracelets - pretty cool stuff to a 3-year old! Sure, I'll take the crying, wailing, takes-all-of-mom's-time thing if you keep the presents comin'! :)

Fast forward another 8 years. I became a big sister for the 2nd time at the age of 11. I don't remember as many presents that time around, but I do remember sneaking out of the house while Dad slept with Megan to buy ingredients at the corner store to make some "welcome home Mom & Anthony" cookies (snickerdoodles). Dad was PISSED. He got over it.

The next 7-9 years were tumultous ones with my siblings, moreso with my sister than with Anthony. Megan always wanted to butt in on me and my friends, wanted to wear my clothes, stole my shoes, used my makeup, and generally did all those things that I know now were forms of "flattery" but then those acts were enough to spark some pretty major fights. I did some pretty mean things to her as a know-it-all big sister and cringe at some of those memories. Yeesh, I was mean.

But.

Fast forward another 8 years or so. My sister is one of my best friends, a major confidante, a shoulder to cry on. There is no secret of mine that she doesn't know. And yesterday, she sends me a one-line email:

"Hi. I just wanted to tell you that I miss you. Alot. And I love you."

At work. I burst into tears (okay, not sobbing uncontrollably tears, but enough to make me tear up and get all blotchy). I had to actually leave for lunch to chill myself out.

And then today, I posted a HARD HARD HARD 45-minute run on facebook, and Anthony comments, "There ya go sis." (When I lived at home between Muncie and our wedding, he and I would run together 2-3 times a week; at the time he was only 13 and I had to push myself to keep up with him!)

I sometimes forget what an honor it is to be a big sister. Not everyone gets to have younger siblings. But there are days like yesterday, and today, that I am reminded of how grateful I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment