Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Ice Storm 2011

Well, "ice-o-palooza" has now come and gone. Here in Columbus we didn't get it "too" bad....it started sleeting/ icing/ frozen raining on Monday night which left Chris & I to take about half an hour each to chisel our cars out to get to our respective jobs. The weather started back up around 9am, making yesterday a big mess in Columbus.......which didn't really matter to me since I left work early to come home.

All last week I had that "tickle" in my throat and chest....minor annoyance but nothing I couldn't live with.........well, I think Monday night's run inside just sealed the deal for the big ol' bus to come run my ASS OVER. I woke up yesterday morning around 4am.....shooting pains up my legs (f'ing treadmill.......need to find an indoor track ASAP)..........along with a bad headache. I got up at my normal time and trudged into work (after aforementioned chiseling of car). I got last week's storm bills out and called it a day around 1. Every cough was hurting worse and worse, and no amount of tylenol was helping. I took a nap yesterday afternoon and then took a (probably not the best idea, but it worked) Nyquil/ Tylenol PM mix to knock myself out....which worked until about 4am when I woke up with chills and more coughing...........I got up and took some more meds and waited until about 5:15 to go back to bed. My poor hubby....my work definitely never will close for snow and ice, but his work is about 2nd in line to that - so I wanted him to get a little more rest without me tossing and turning and hacking.

I woke up this morning and felt like if I coughed one more time a lung was going to come up - so I finally called my doc's office (thank God they were open) and got in at noon. He was glad I had come in right away, but the bad thing with this "thing" I have is there's no real way to tell if I have an upper respiratory infection (viral) or bronchitis (bacterial) - since at the onset of symptoms both act the same. I guess he could've taken blood to know for sure....but no thanks. He gave me a script for some hydrocodone (cough suppresant with a narcotic in it to help me sleep) and said to monitor how I'm feeling over the next few days; if I'm no better by Friday to call and he'll call in some antibiotics.

This was my first time seeing this doctor on a non-colposcopy basis, and I'm so glad I switched to him. My old doctor was okay, just....I don't know. Never rude, just.....always kind of half-attentive, and he never seemed quite assured that I knew what I was talking about when describing symptoms, etc. Not to mention that back in March I went in for some self-"prescribed" bloodwork, and I feel like he never really acted the same around me after that. Not cool.

So anyway. That's how my ice storm has gone. Mom & Dad & Anthony just got power back in TH after being without since midnight 2 nights ago, but I know a lot of my friends and family all over IN are still dealing with no power issues. I can remember the great ice storm in Muncie in '05 - no fun!!!!!!!

Well, my 2nd dose of the miracle medicine has started to kick in. I'm off to bed.......hopefully able to go into work for at least a half day.........this week is my January month-end week (officially billed over $1 million in snow) + all the paperwork that this storm will bring in the next day or so = worst possible time for me to be out. I learned my lesson the last time though - I went to doc on Tuesday and he told me not to even think about going back until Thursday....I went back Wednesday and ended up being worse off AND getting everyone else sick. I'm no hero - I don't function well when sick! So - hopefully - a good night of medicated sleep will help.

Hope everyone is staying warm! On a good note, groundhog didn't see his shadow today - spring is on the way! (I HOPE!!!!!!!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment