Thursday, September 24, 2009

Happy Friday!

.....er, Thursday. But it's Friday for me, so at a time that I'm usually rolling over to turn out my light for the night, I am engrossed in a show on 'E!' called "Going Postal: 15 Most Random Acts of Violence." Nice, right? Seriously, though....I find shows and books and documentation about stuff like this just fascinating...I almost have a sick obsession with things like this. Just like the Holocaust era of WWII, I am very interested in why people do the things they do.

They are on #7, and I believe that 5 of them have had some kind of mental illness (the 6th was the Jonesboro shootings; 2 kids). Absolutely mind-boggling. With my family being closely affected by mental illness, I just find incidents like these fascinating. Sometimes, I think I went into the wrong profession. I had a major interest in Psychology in high school and actually got a 4 on the AP test as a senior (out of 5), which allowed me to get credit for Psych 100 in college. I took a couple classes of Psych my freshman year, but was more enamored by numbers and the black and white side of things rather than constantly searching the gray. What makes these people tick? What is in their DNA that makes them, literally, go crazy? I don't know. Sometimes I wonder if my dad's dad were alive today...if there would be medicine that would have kept him alive. I don't know. No one knows...none of these people know what life would be like if these sick people had some kind of help.

Random thoughts.

Anyway...I'm looking forward to the next 10 days or so....well, this weekend, and then next weekend...tomorrow, I'm sleeping in (thank you, vacation day!) and packing for the weekend - then, when Chris gets off work at 12:30, we're heading to IN for a wedding that Chris is in on Saturday. Blake was in our wedding last August, so it's neat to be on the other end of it. It should be a fun time. Next week is going to be absolute madness. It's end of month week, which is always, at a minimum, a 50-hour work week. I've now been through a full year of month-end closes, but the preparation always is so long. Plus, we have to pack up the rest of the apartment in preparation for our move next Saturday. And, of course, Dallas plays on Monday night, so that'll be a late night, but hopefully this time I'll stay up for a good cause!

I'm anxious to get into our new apartment and get settled...and hopefully we can stay at this apartment until we find a house to buy and stay in for a long time! I'm tired of moving!

Chris is very worried about his grandpa right now...he literally broke his back on Tuesday night and is now in the hospital. He hasn't been taking his Alzheimer's medicines, and he isn't doing very well. Chris feels very helpless this far away, so all we can do is pray that everything turns out okay.

Well, they're down to the top 5, and I'm predicting: Columbine, 9/11, Oklahoma City, Virginia Tech...hmm....what will round out the 5?

I'm weird. You can all say it. But maybe someday mental illness won't be around anymore. We can only hope...but I guess that still leaves all the terrorists and angry people out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment