Friday, April 29, 2011

Happy Royal Wedding Day!

I did my best to avoid it.  I have nonchalantly perused People and US Weekly magazines over the last couple of months in grocery store lines as the wedding of Prince William & Kate Middleton rapidly approached.  Eh, another wedding.  Whatever. 

Whatever, indeed.

Over last weekend when I barely made it out of bed, let alone my pajamas, for the majority of the weekend, I stumbled upon Lifetime's marathon weekend covering the upcoming nuptials.  I watched all about how William & Catherine met at St. Andrew's, how they broke up but she got him back by not laying around crying about it (but instead getting all gussied up and partying it up with her friends, looking like the most gorgeous thing in the world), how he proposed on a romantic trip to Kenya, how they broke all tradition and(GASP!) lived together before they were married.....you just can't help but to fall in love with them.  They're SO normal!  You literally feel like you could be their friend.

I wasn't alive when Prince Charles and Diana got married (the Wednesday before my own parents' wedding day - they were married 7/29/81, my mom and dad got married 8/1/81), but I remember with great clarity the night that Diana died in 1997....I remember staying up late with a friend and watching her funeral, and feeling so heartbroken for the two boys she left behind.  I remember over the years understanding more and more about Diana and Prince Charles, their divorce, how Diana was treated before, during & after her marriage to Charles, her work with the "common people" - and as I turned on my TV this morning at 5:30 before getting ready for work, I couldn't help just hoping my hardest for William & Catherine - hopeful that their marriage would be different than that of William's parents.  They're not much older than Chris & I, but the valleys and mountains we've experienced at least have been (mostly) private.  Their entire lives are under a microscope.  Every word, every outfit, every MOVE they make is being analyzed. 

I just couldn't help smiling and unable to turn away from MSNBC this morning, especially as I watched Kate get into the car to the church, and watching her walk down that (LONG!) aisle....

There's just something about this wedding today that made me smile, and give an ear to the little girl that (like so many others) one day dreamed she'd get to wear a pretty crown and pretty white dress and walk down a long aisle to her very own prince.  I didn't wear a crown, and Chris doesn't have any royal blood in him, but I did get to wear a beautiful white dress one day, and I got to walk down a (long) aisle, and I got to be a princess for a day.  I got to literally feel the love for Chris & me from our friends and family on that first day of the "rest of our life together."  I didn't get to have my first kiss as Chris' wife timed to the second on a royal balcony in front of hundreds of thousands, but it was a first kiss nonetheles and I still get goosebumps remembering. 

What else can you say?  Except for thank goodness for DVR.........off to watch some highlights!

No comments:

Post a Comment