Monday, May 2, 2011

Proud to be an American

So..........below is the post I made as I sat in my freshman year dorm room (610 Knotts Hall)....working on homework as the TV flashed across the bottom of the screen that our "Shock & Awe" mission was fully underway, complete with video of bombs going off and fires rising into the night.  I'll never forget it....

Thursday, 20 March 2003



Time 11:34 am



Subject: the war in Iraq

Well folks it has FINALLY started...after over 10 years of trying to deal with them, America has gone to war with Iraq. I know this isn't any big news to any of you, but I was talking to one of my sisters last night about how people do some of the pettiest things which are ridiculous...especially in this time of tragedy in our country. I went to bed last night thinking about it...how many people I've hurt in my lifetime...how many people have collectively made me who I am...and to those people....I want to say I'm sorry, and thank you. Life is too short and too precious to hold onto grudges and not tell the ones you love that you love them.

This list could go on forever...but here's just some main people I was thinking about...

Kelly...what can I even say. I know that we have had our share of trouble this year plus some. But it's all in the past and I'm willing to put it and keep it there. I'm sorry for anything that I did that hurt you...and I forgive you for everything you did to hurt me. Things may not ever be the same between us, but please know that I love you and will be here for you, no matter what.

Shaun/ GA...even though I know they won't / don't read this...these two guys helped me to see everything a relationship should and shouldn't be. They together have made me a better, stronger person that can appreciate good relationships that I will never take for granted....Chris...thank you for everything...I love you.

My fam...nothing even needs to be said here, except I love you all SO very much. I can only hope that my family when I grow up will be as close as ours has been.

Lacey, Sarah, Sami, Christen...I know we don't talk a lot anymore but I want each and everyone of you to know how much I think about you all...without you guys I wouldn't have made it through high school sane. I love you all and cherish every memory I have with you.

Lindsay...we have grown so close and I know our friendship is one that will be able to stand anything. This year wouldn't have been the same without you and I can't wait for the months and years to come. I love you girlie!!

That's about all I can do right now b/c I have to run...but I will be writing more later, I just had to get that all off my chest.

Pray hard everyone....and remember....I love you all.

Mood: sad, contemplative

Music: Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue

***********************************************
 
So that was the other side of over 8 years ago.  8 years!  Wow....outside of my family, Chris & Lindsay, I haven't even thought about some of those people in a long time.  Weird how times change.......
 
Just like I'll always remember where I was (Ms. Minar's classroom for Newspaper), what I was wearing (dark blue Mudd jeans and a dark red Aero sweatshirt) and what I was doing (calling radio stations for help promoting a car wash) when the planes hit the towers in NYC on 9/11/11, I don't think I'll forget anytime soon this morning...........learning that finally, finally, FINALLY - Osama (Usama?) Bin Laden - is dead.
 
Here I was, just another Monday morning on my way to work.....listening to Mike & Mike, as is my habit every morning.  I was just getting ready to turn the station (don't care about baseball) when Greenie said, "May 2nd is a day that not a lot of Americans will forget anytime soon."  Huh?  What, 2 days after the royal wedding?  What?  No.  Sound bite starts.........can't quite hear it....the baseball fans at the Mets/ Phillies game getting louder and louder....chanting....what are they saying?  I can't quite make it out....turn it up a little....and then the sportscaster coming on saying, "Clearly the fans have gotten word that the US has confirmed....Osama bin Laden has been killed." 
 
I almost wrecked my car.
 
What?!?  That all-too-elusive (insert adjective here, I can think of a few) man full of evil.....dead?
 
I was immediately overcome with tears.  I was immediately taken back to my HS classroom....my freshman year dorm room.  Remembering the last several years as family members and friends have stepped up to the plate and fought overseas, praying so hard that none of them would be lost. 
 
Is the war over?  Far from it.
 
But today...........as posts flooded Facebook, and the news keeps flashing celebrations all over the country....it reminds me, again, of the deep seeded faith I have in this country and the people that fight for our freedom.
 
Where were you when the world stopped turning - on that September day?
 
While that day is still filled with sad and shocked memories - hopefully anyone who lost a dear one that day has been able to experience just a little closure - and just a little peace today.

No comments:

Post a Comment