Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Whoa, Nelly

I'm frustrated.

I'm frustrated that I may very well be married to the most financially-responsible man on the planet. I'm frustrated that he makes a lot of sense. I'm frustrated that he is probably right in saying we should maybe put off this house and get some of our ducks in a row first.

If you look up the phrase "opposites attract" in the dictionary, you'd find a picture of us. Me: fly by the seat of my pants, emotionally involved quickly, I see something I want, I must. have it. now. Chris: responsible. thinker. planner. looker-into-the-future to check out all the "what if's."

I'm frustrated that in the last couple of months, we added up what we spent in eating out (just on weekends, we cook during the week!!) and that amount about knocked us off our chairs. Our bills get paid and we have money in savings, so we thought we were doing alright. Little did we know. I take a lot of the blame, b/c Chris would usually be okay with eating in 7 nights a week - it's me that is pretty much done with cooking come Friday.

I'm frustrated that I just keep watching people I know - family, acquaintances, friends from high school and what have you - just pop out kids. And still live with their parents. Or grandparents. Oh, can't afford the ones you have? Why not have a couple more, after all, it's not like you're actually paying to live anywhere and it's not as if you're actually paying for insurance.

I'm frustrated that it really does seem that some people can lack complete responsibility and it doesn't seem to bother or affect them. I may not be the most financially responsible person on the face of the earth, but my bills get paid and by God they are with our own money.

I know it's not a bad thing to want all our ducks (or a good part of our ducks :)) in a row before moving onto big things like buying a house and having a baby. I also know that if we wait for ALL our ducks to get lined up, we'll be 95 years old and I'm pretty sure by that time I'll be sterile.

I am trying to do a better job of not living for tomorrow, the weekend, next month, what have you. Today is truly a blessing, and I need to learn to cherish it b/c I know all too well how fast time travels. Before I know it, it'll be late fall, and God providing, we'll have paid off some things and will be ready to say "let's do this!" to our Dominion lady. Before I know it, we'll have had 1 baby or 2 and they'll be growing faster than I can blink.

But right now - I'm frustrated.

Oh. Lent starts tomorrow. No fast food for me until April 24! :)

1 comment:

  1. 1) I have not had a burger, fry, or nugget since 2010. You can do it.

    2) I get the frustration. Just know that you'll be better off in the end for taking your time.

    3) One way to think about being financially ready for a baby-- is that we tried to have enough money to live off of for 3 months if I didn't have a job, including daycare costs, saved in the bank. This allowed us to kind of put a number on our "readiness" to have a baby, and we were able to feel reassured that if I lost my job (since I am the single provider!), that we could live for a little bit without help. It also helped to have a reserve for daycare. Perhaps if you work toward that goal, it will help you to keep your eye on the prize...

    ReplyDelete