Monday, November 29, 2010

Hair and Prayers

I'm not usually an impulsive person.

I've been desparately needing a haircut for a couple weeks now. I have worn my hair long in recent years, but it never fails that at *that* point that I start just wearing it in a ponytail or messy bun (or lately, braids) just about everyday. I've been in ponytails/ buns/ braids for about a month now. So it was time.

The last time I got a haircut, I just wanted a trim. Enough to get the dead ends off. An inch, maybe. Today.....I had the day off and was out around town and thought - you know what? Today's the day.

The day, indeed. I should've taken a picture of how much hair I lost today. I'd say about 5" maybe, at the longest point? The longest hairs on my head now barely touch my shoulders. It was a shock to see that much hair on the floor and I had a momentary case of panic, but the girl who was cutting my hair was SO nice....we highlighted it and then washed and conditioned it....she took some of my hair in her fingers and said, "What do you think, about here?" I said, "Just DO IT!" and closed my eyes, and there was no looking back. But I like it. Still sort of a shock to run my fingers through my hair and get about 4" into it and that's it....but I like it.

A more serious point......our friends Cory & Amber just had their baby Saturday....she was released today but baby Colin is still in NICU. He just hasn't gotten the hang of eating yet. Chris talked to Cory earlier and he'll be fine, but he was a full 2 weeks early and when they went to induce her, she wasn't even showing SIGNS of effacing or dilating yet. I guess he did better today and woke up every 3 hours or so to eat, which is good. He'll be okay, but my heart just goes out to Amber. She's one of those very diligent and by-the-books people, so I can just imagine that she is worrying and wondering what she could be doing different. Obviously I don't know what being a new mom feels like, but I can't imagine this is much fun for her or Cory. Hopefully Colin will be home tomorrow. I can't wait to actually hold him when we go back for Christmas!

Off to bed....back to work after being off 5 days. Sniff, sniff. End of month week + the dramas that ended last week = a fun 4 days coming up. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment