Thursday, November 11, 2010

27

I turned 21 on a Thursday.

I just turned 27, today, 11/11/10, on a Thursday.

I look back and think about how fast the last 6 years have gone. I remember my 21st birthday like it was yesterday - still living at "Old Bethel," counting down the days, going out to bars with AOII sisters and friends the night before.........getting up late on Thursday and having a test in my 3:30 class (Intermediate Accg 2) and 5:30 (Management). As I recall, I bombed both tests, bad. Oh well..............................

In the last 6 years, I have:

* moved.....5 times (Old Bethel > New Bethel > Abbott St > Terre Haute > Columbus Apt #1 > Columbus Apt #2)
* graduated college
* gotten engaged (and married)
* changed jobs.......3 times (sounds worse than it is, 2 of those times were due to moving: Old National (Muncie) > First Merchants (Muncie) > Weyerhaeuser/ IP (Terre Haute) > Brickman (Columbus)
* witnessed my sister graduating from college and getting married
* watched my baby brother go from a scrawny little 9-year old to a 6'2" young man, a sophomore in high school who's too funny for his own good and is already a heartbreaker....those poor girls
* questioned my faith
* questioned my relationships across the board
* questioned myself
* attended the funerals of 2 of Chris' family members - his Aunt Joyce in 2005, and his Grandpa this past April
* attended more weddings than I can count; been a direct part of......4? Is that it? Ashley, Allison, my own, Megan?
* watched friends, family members and sorority sisters welcome babies into the world.

Wow............what a whirlwind its been.

The only thing I could've predicted for sure at this time 6 years ago was that I would still be with Chris. And against all odds - I got that prediction right. I am so lucky.

Today, I received phone calls, texts, facebook messages and cards (and an overly-decorated-office......pictures to come later). It is an undescribable feeling tonight, as I'm about to go to bed......that I am as blessed as I am, with the people around me that are there.

It has been a great birthday. As time starts flying faster and faster, birthdays start meaning less about the gifts and cards and meals out - and more about the people that you love, and that love you back.

No comments:

Post a Comment