Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Facebook failure

You know, Facebook is good for a lot of things.

Keeping in touch with family and friends.  Stalking "acquaintances" from high school, just to see what they're up to.  Seeing pictures of those you don't see nearly often enough in real life.  Finding friends near and far who share your passions.  Getting ideas.  Reading the news in your hometown.

But you know what else I'm finding?

Facebook is really good at making you feel like you're a complete and utter failure at life.

I'm not losing and haven't lost any weight recently.  I don't run nearly as much as I used to.  I haven't even started my Christmas shopping, let alone wrapped it and hidden it under the tree.  Chris and I are trying for a baby and here I am with friends popping out their 2nd, 3rd, 4th.....babies.  At our age.  I don't have a social life (or much of one).  The biggest hobby in my life (as always) is following the Cowboys.  My job is so-so.  I enjoy it probably slightly more than the average person, but I don't necessarily feel like I've found my life's calling.  I don't pray enough.  I eat way more than enough.  I don't keep in close enough touch with friends.  My marriage is (far from) perfect.  My family is completely nuts.  And the list goes on........

There was an article in.....Cosmo? I think not too long ago about the dangers of facebook and how it can cause women to start unfairly comparing themselves to all their "friends" on facebook.  How most people aren't going to put up the worst parts of their lives (God knows I don't) for all to see, they're mostly going to put up all the great things.  Great things don't happen to everyone, everyday.  Everyone has ups and downs.  It's just so easy to forget that though, on facebook. 

Here's what I do know.

Chris & I have made it through some of the hardest things a couple can go through, and we're still together.  I'm ALLOWED to be stupidly passionate about the Cowboys b/c you know what?  I don't have any kids.  It's not like I'm neglecting buying my kids clothes when I pay $35/ month for the NFL Ticket.  Chris and I may have been together for almost 9 years, but we can still fight with the best of 'em, over the littlest things.  Does that make me doubt that we'll be good parents just b/c we have disagreements?  Hell no.  My job doesn't pay nearly enough, but you know what?  It's a job.  And it's a job that I am good at.  And it's a job that I (most/ some days) enjoy.  I don't get summer vacations, I don't get spring breaks, I don't get Christmas vacations, I don't get fall breaks, but that's okay.  I work just as hard as anyone else and I'm proud of that.  I manage to sock a little away every pay period to put into a 401k.  We make enough combined to go out every once in awhile and do something fun.  I talk to my parents and siblings often.  I don't talk to college friends near often enough, but there's a point in everyone's life where people start to drift apart and away from each other.  Being 4 hours away from everyone doesn't help. 

It may be the hardest thing EVER, but I may have to take a break from facebook for awhile.  Bring myself back down to Earth and remind myself that my life is, as a matter of fact, pretty good.  We do ok.  And the only person who can change that is Chris or me.  Not what anyone else does, or says, or thinks.

No comments:

Post a Comment