Friday, December 31, 2010

2010 Resolutions: A Review

Well, friends, how did you do with last year's "resolutions"??

I say this with a little (okay maybe more than a little) sarcasm, because I buy so little into "New Years Resolutions." All week on facebook, and especially today, it's just so.......amusing? Annoying? Enlightening? ...to read what people say they WILL do.....starting tomorrow. What makes 1/1 so earth-shattering anyway? If you really want to stop eating all junk food, no more crap! no more fast food!, why wait til tomorrow? Just start today....it's not like that that resolution will actually hold up for more than a week. Can people do it? Sure. But all the people I know are just regular people looking for a healthier life.......and depriving yourself ALL the time of things you like just isn't healthy! But anyway. Ready to get the next 2 weeks over with so the gym will be back to normal (I've been running inside lately - except for today, it has been TOO wet and snowy outside to run outdoors!!)

So, a look back at my "goals" from last year, written on 1/5/10........

1. Improve my relationship with God: I'd say that I haven't accomplished this as much as I wanted to, but on a big upside, when I've made the effort, Chris has been in on the act, too. We've attended church together this year, and that's huge. It seems every single week this year brought new challenges and heartache, but the constant reminder to myself to "give it to God" has been a big comfort. This goal is ongoing and something I look forward to improving upon again this year.

2. Say "no" more often: at work, this definitely was accomplished! I have set some strict boundaries at work and am reaping the benefits of doing so. My boss respects me more, as do my coworkers. I probably still say "yes" more often than necessary, but who knew that saying "no" could be so gratifying?

3. Live my life for me.......another goal that is hard to put into black and white, but still one that I don't think I quite accomplished. I still think that, even at 27, I put too much stock into how others perceive me. It bothers me when I feel judged, and it bothers me when I think people are mad at me. This is probably something that won't ever change, but my need to please other people has slowed down some.........and I need to live by a good motto: "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

4. Run a mini-marathon: well, this didn't happen in 2010. But, I made some huge strides, hitting my longest run (6 miles) during the summer, and increasing my speed and endurance. Plus, I actually SIGNED UP for a mini in May of 2011, so it is something I definitely will achieve this year! 18 weeks, 1 day and counting! The training has already begun!

5. Write down one good thing everyday........definitely didn't write down something everyday.......but the overall goal of looking for the positive helped this year. There were some times that looking for the good things was the ONLY thing that kept me from getting too wrapped up in the bad & ugly. So.......another one to continue work on this year.

So, that's how I did. I've been thinking about some concrete, black & white goals to work towards in 2011, and I'll be putting pen to paper (or fingers to keys) in the next couple of days.

I hope everyone has a safe and fun New Year's tonight! It'll be the first one in a long time that we'll be by ourselves.........may be the first, if I think about it!

So long, 2010!

No comments:

Post a Comment